Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Week for Workshops

Monday Sept 26,  I attended a workshop at First United Church with Dr. Ross Laird  from Vancouver. He presented a developmental model of addiction and then demonstrated how specific developmental issues lead to a particular drug of choice. There is always something to learn as addiction is so complex and difficult to treat.

Monday evening I presented Part One of my own Addictions Workshop in Birch Bay to 15 folks from the area. Their responses on the anonymous feedback sheet I hand out were all very positive about the material and presentation, even though we had a few technical problems at the beginning. Next Monday I will present Part Two.

Wednesday evening I brought a message Created in the Image of God at the "Celebration" at Church. This is their equivalent of a Sunday Service. Volunteers put table cloths on the tables and serve the meals individually rather than having a food line.

This Friday and Saturday I am attending an Addictions and Recovery Conference in Surrey BC hosted by Trinity Western Seminary and others. There are some significant professional differences between Canada and the USA regarding Assessment and Delivery of Service. Also it will be a great opportunity for networking which is an important task for me right now as a newcomer to the area.

Then Monday I will play in my first curling game since 1963. I have been included in a minister's league which will promote further networking as well as having some great fun.

Finally, Tuesday I will be included in a committee discussion  which is exploring  addiction and recovery at First United where I am a chaplain.

Thanks for your thoughts, prayers, and financial support! I now have monthly commitments of $885.00 towards my monthly budget of $1700.00
Ross


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ross, miss you down here. We had over 200 participants last weekend for Ramble for Recovery - a great success. Our friend Gene McVae was awarded as male Voice of Recovery.

    I'm looking at clearing a weekend in November to come up for a visit. Work for you ?

    Curling, huh ? You never cease to amaze.

    ReplyDelete