Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Day in DTES...

A number of you have been wondering how things are going up here. I thought I would
use yesterday (8-31-11) as an illustration.

7:15 Leave Birch Bay for DTES (38 miles).

8:30 Arrive at First United and visit with Michael who I spot having breakfast. I responded
        to the question he baited me with last week about John Calvin and the apocrypha if
        you can imagine. Told him I was mistaken and what I had learned.

9:00 Lead Spiritual Focus, introduce Proverbs 1:1-7, and the four types of men
        (thanks Steve W). Topic is well  received and great discussion. Juan says he will
         be back and wants to talk to me privately. Will start picking selected Proverbs
         to discuss each week for awhile.

10:00 Visit some more with Michael who admits he has been a “scoffer” to me and
          he is starting to trust me. This is BIG for both of us! Shared a warm handshake.
          He is really bright and I am eager to learn more about his background.

10:30 Brief visit with Juan who has previously shared he was kidnapped and spent
         18 years in a Civil War in Central America. He's been clean 3 days and struggling.

11:00 Go two blocks to the Dugout and visit with familiar folks there.

11:30 Juan shows, we visit and he agrees to stay for the AA meeting at 12:30.

12:30 Juan has been to meetings before, but seems to have renewed interest. He agrees
         to come over and visit some more tomorrow. I forgot to take off my chaplain badge,
         and an AA member asks if I hear 5th steps.

1:30 I walk down to the Carnegy Center and have baked chicken, small salad, and drink
        for $2.25. I recognize and greet a few workers here I know from the church.

2:00 Visit with new friend Barry who manages the Dugout. He has a friend who is a social
        worker and will get  me a list of all the half way houses in the area. Share a little with
        Barry about my interest in equipping churches in providing a vital spiritual / social
        alternative to the drug culture.

2:30 Make myself available at Dugout, visit with Sharon who is 76 years old, been
        clean for 40 years and sponsors women at the women’s shelters in the area. Visit
        with her about a gal at the church I have been concerned about who is trying to get
        clean. I will try to get them together at the Dugout if I see the gal again.

3:30 Go back over to the church and make myself available. Visit with one of the
       staff who was abused in a church when he was a child. He’s been clean for 4 years
       but still very suspicious about “church.”

4:30 Head for home.

6:00 Finally get home. (A major accident on the freeway, traffic really slow today).

7:00 Go to small group at local church I have been attending. They are hosting my
       workshop on addiction at the end of the month. Very warm and authentic group.

Hope this gives you a better idea. Thanks for your thoughts, prayers, and financial support.

Ross

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Ross, your days are long and packed with cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete