Thursday, August 25, 2011

Why Commute?

A number of friends have inquired about the logic of my commuting 38 miles to Vancouver, taking over an hour each way. I've usually responded, "it is  less expensive."  Today I noticed an article in the Vancouver Sun showing the 15 most affordable houses in Vancouver this month and thought I would be more specific about the differences in the cost of living.

The house shown has an asking price of $588,000. I imagine in Roseburg it would sell for well under $200,000. Apartment rentals in Vancouver average over $1500 per month. Gasoline (measured in liters) is the equivalent of $3.45 per gallon where it is $2.69 in Birch Bay, WA where I live.  A gallon of milk there is $4.77 versus $2.99 here.

Commuting helps me keep my living costs to a minimum. Living in my 5th wheel (which is paid for) costs $208 plus electricity for monthly rent.  RV parks in Vancouver range from $600 to $800 monthly.

As I rely on financial support from friends like you, it is essential I live as economically as possible. Thanks for your encouragement, support and staying in touch!
Ross


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your budget with us, Ross. I reaffirms our commitment to support your ministry, knowing that you are living frugally. Blessings on you, as we can only imagine the toll that the extra driving takes.

    ReplyDelete