Thursday, August 18, 2011

"OUR" Daily Bread"

This week I filled in for one of the men that picks up day old bread from one of the local bakeries. The picture is of a typical pick up. There are six bakeries that donate bread this way, and they are encouraged to see it not go to waste. It is estimated that the Dugout Drop-In Centre receives about $400,000 worth of donations of bread and food yearly when the original value is tabulated. There is very little waste.

180 folks show up in the early morning for the soup line. There are an average of another 700 visitors who stop in during the day. Some spend some time, and others just come for the bread and some pastry that is passed out each day. It is intended visitors will feel comfortable spending time in this environment and much of my time is visiting with them. As suggested I have started wearing a badge that identifies me as a chaplain, which to my surprise seems to have helped me getting to know folks. Relationships are beginning! Remembering names is my greatest challenge and one of the most important things I can do to demonstrate my genuine interest. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers!



1 comment:

  1. Ross, this is really cool. In Jesus's kingdom the hungry are fed, and it's an extra bonus that you have the chance to offer that which gives life forever - a relationship with Jesus. Blessings on your work!

    ReplyDelete