Friday, September 16, 2011

Scene from DTES


This is a picture taken in an alley about a block from First United Church. Each of the main streets in the DTES has an alley and usually you don't see scenes like this on the street fronts (although I did on my first visit to Hastings Street).  I observed someone injecting a young woman in the neck. Wow, what an introduction to DTES that was!

I have walked down these alleys trying to make contact, but quickly realized that was not a good idea. Those there are preoccupied with their addictions and see anyone else as an intruder. It is a neighborhood with 4,600 injection drug users. Of them, it’s estimated that 87 per cent have Hepatitis C, and 17 per cent have HIV. Yet, I am continually amazed I have never felt threatened physically or that I am carelessly putting myself in danger.

I want to introduce you to a new blog written by a Vancouver Policeman who patrols the area. His perspectives are fascinating to me, and I think you will be challenged as well. Click on Policeman's blog and you will see what I mean.

I am gradually feeling accepted here, finding myself included with key committees and building relationships with staff as well as residents. I am so encouraged when I hear from you, my friends, and I am so grateful for those of you that are helping me financially.
Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment