Friday, October 7, 2011

Another Reminder

This is another reminder of the despair so prevalent in DTES. Black tar heroin comes from Latin America and is made bypassing extra steps that are used to refine white heroin. This makes it less expensive on the street. Tar collapses veins worse than any other drug that is injected.  It appeals to those who are most desperate on the horrific road to oblivion; that is not really caring if they live or die.

I thoroughly enjoyed the two day workshop last weekend, and left further energized about my interests integrating the science and theology of addiction. At times there was the disconnect of these two disciplines that often happens in discussions of addiction and recovery.  It was a great opportunity to network. A number of folks shared an interest in coming to visit me at the Dugout and take a tour of DTES.

The Research and Policy committee of First United Church met for the first time Tuesday.  Of the eight members, only the chairman Stephen Gray is staff. I am meeting some incredible folks with the heart to serve.   It felt great to be included, and by the grace of God, I feel I can make a valuable contribution.

Thanks so much for your thoughts, prayers, and financial support that enable me to serve this way!

Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment