Thursday, October 13, 2011

Living Simple

A few of you have shared concerns about how I am managing living up here. That is, am I prepared for winter, do I feel claustrophobic living in a trailer etc? The picture shows my little corner of the world with all my earthly belongings (including my Cocker Spaniel, Dylan). The 5th wheel is 40' long and with the roll outs, I actually have 600 square feet with 9' ceilings in the kitchen / dining room, 8' ceilings in my bedroom that has a computer desk, queen sized bed and plenty of space for my 30" TV (where I get to watch my football favorites). There is a third room with two couches that make into double sized beds, another TV, stereo with surround sound and an electric fireplace. Lots of room for visitors (hint, hint).  Right across the alley is the Bay Cafe (great gourmet coffees) who allow me to use their WIFI which comes into the trailer. What more creature comforts could a man ask for!

I'm prepared for a predicted cold winter, have electric heat tape and insulation on the water lines and a 120 gallon propane tank for central heat. It was 32 degrees last night, feels like winter is right around the corner. I was able to pay off both vehicles and the trailer before I left Roseburg, which allows me to live economically. If you have any interest in my living expenses please go to my Budget.

I continue to feel more direction in the DTES. Next week I will be part of a two day staff retreat and training, and then on Oct 27, Bruce Alexander is presenting a workshop at the church. He is the author of The Globalization of Addiction: A Study in Poverty of the Spirit, the book that has influenced me the most in my pursuit of understanding addiction. We have corresponded through emails but this will be the first face to face interaction. I was so flattered that Dr. Alexander asked for a copy of my dissertation when I was still in Oregon.  You can look at some of his videos and his blog at Dislocation.

Thanks so much for your thoughts, prayers, and financial support making it possible for me to serve the homeless and addicted in DTES.

No comments:

Post a Comment