Thursday, March 1, 2012

WORKSHOP in DTES

Yesterday I held Part One of my addiction workshop at the Dugout Drop-in Centre, right in the heart of DTES. There were 18 folks that stayed through the whole presentation, a few others listened for awhile and then left. It was the mixed group we had hoped for: some residents of DTES and homeless, some from the AA that meets there, some staff from First United and the Dugout, and others I have been networking with in Vancouver.

A graduate student who  is the longest standing volunteer and on the board of the Carnegy Community Centre is video taping the workshops. He will also edit them to provide a trailer to assist me as I seek to generate interest with local churches and other groups. What an encouragement he is.

We used one half of the room and left the other half for those stopping in for a snack or coffee. The picture portrays what the Dugout looks like on a usual day and the section we used for the workshop. There were no distractions, and hopefully some of those addicted gained at least a moment of clarity from what they heard. The workshop went so well the manager Barry Robertson and I are discussing having some kind of a helpful workshop / presentation every Wed afternoon. We will contact other agencies in DTES to participate as well as I will present further material.

 I have been studying a lot about homelessness and addiction as I will be presenting three times to the Oregon Coalition of Housing and Homelessness on May 2-5 at Hood River, Oregon.

Thanks for your thoughts, prayers, and financial support that makes this possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment