Friday, December 23, 2011

Roseburg Reunion (from Fresno CA)

I spent a couple of days in Roseburg OR on my way to Fresno CA to spend Christmas with my three daughters and two grand daughters. What a treat being included on a tour of the new holistic clinic in Winston with the Adult Outpatient Staff I used to work with. The picture is joining them for lunch.

There is an old Lakota saying, "only go places where the lights come on in people's eyes when they see you." Being greeted with warm hugs and noticing how everyone lit up to see me was very meaningful and humbling. I spent two days at my good friend, Jimmie Harris' "mountain retreat" and received the same welcome at the recovery meetings we attended.

A book I strongly recommend: Beyond  Homelessness: Christian Faith in a Culture of Displacement makes clear a house is not a home and describes eight characteristics of a home.  The most important to me is feeling  like I belong to a community. Even though serving in the DTES in Vancouver is my mission, it was very evident that Roseburg is still my home. This will further inspire me to encourage community for the homeless.

I will be in Fresno for a few more days, and then return to Roseburg on my way back to Birch Bay WA. On Dec 31, I will be part of three services at my home church, Redeemer's Fellowship. They are hosting a get together after the services at 12:45 for personal interaction. I hope you can attend.

Christmas blessings!
Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment