Monday, February 11, 2013

#13 Stages of Addiction and Homelessness


It is important to put my following comments in context. The number one cause of homelessness today is poverty, and more social services aren't needed, it's about needing  jobs!  Vancouver's 12 block DTES area is an exception -- most are addicted or have mental health issues. It has the highest concentration of IV users in North America.

My compassion for the homeless in Vancouver's DTES was initially stirred reading In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction by Gabor Mate. My previous experience with the homeless was limited to occasional visits to shelters. I did know some folks in AA who had been homeless for brief times and now had functional lives, but few long timers at the missions really showed any interest in AA or what churches had to offer. 

As a counselor I was effective with those who had been abused as I had been helped so much in my own treatment and therapy. I knew many of the long term homeless were horribly psycho-socially-spiritually damaged. They rarely recovered and I didn't understand why. Traditional thinking was they haven't reached a bottom but when someone has almost died a number of times, lost everything, and only staying alive due to shelters, I was puzzled what would a bottom look like?
 
The following diagram by Ric Matthews (Executive Minister of New Way Community) helped  to clarify my understanding of homelessness. 
The first circle outside MAINSTREAM are the MARGINALIZED, or those not fitting in due to addiction and mental health issues. Even though poverty is the number one cause of homelessness but I often question which came first...poverty or addiction? Society attempts to repair or contain these folks in institutions (recovery groups, church, treatment, hospitals and prisons). Those we can't seem to help, slip out to the next circle or the HOMELESS. One of the errors we make is expecting them to be rational but addiction and mental illness are not rational conditions. The most damaged often don't fit the barriers of many shelters and become PREMATURE DEATHS from drug overdosing, related medical conditions and inclement weather. 

Generally addiction in seen in four stages: Experimentation, Misuse, Abuse, and Dependency. My problem is by these criteria, my diagnosis when practicing my addiction was the same as the homeless in DTES. For a number of reasons, I wasn't as damaged and had so many more opportunities in life compared to so many who are homeless. With help I was able to recover and be restored to the MAINSTREAM at the center of the diagram without slipping into homelessness.

So many I meet and spend time with in Vancouver's DTES have not responded to traditional treatment and other assistance. I think first of all we need to rethink how we discuss and understand stages of addiction. 

It is multi causal but addiction can be seen as a brain disease. Other diseases are seen in four stages. The fourth stage is so critical in cancer that patients are told it has metastasized to other regions of the body and is rarely considered curable. Patients with fourth stage heart disease, cirrhosis, and kidney disease must have transplants to live.

To understand the marginalized homeless I am proposing understanding addiction in four stages. 

     Stage 1: Initial  
                      Motivation is pleasure...
                       “They Abuse and Live”
    Stage 2: Chronic
                      Motivation is relief...
                     "They Live to Abuse”
    Stage 3: Acute
                      Motivation is maintenance...
                      “They Abuse to Live”
    Stage 4: Terminal
                       Motivation is escape to oblivion...
                       “They Abuse and Die”

Stage 4 addicts do not seem to have moments of clarity or respond to a bottom. They are not currently criminal enough to end up in prison or considered mentally ill enough to end up in psychiatric care. So what would be involved for them to recover? 

My next post will focus on the Harm Reduction controversy and its impact in the context of Stage 4 addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment