Friday, January 27, 2012

Major Change in DTES

Major changes began just before the two weeks I was gone at Christmas.  BC Housing funds the main expense of housing and feeding up to 240 homeless folks staying at First United Church (FUC).  FUC was operating as a refuge, rather than a shelter. What this means is that no one was refused a bed or meal, and so the most troubled  and problematic were accepted, which included the expected difficulties they created. If refused, they would be left out in the inclimate weather to possibly perish as so many have here in the DTES. Extra sleeping pads and blankets were laid out in the dining room when the count went above 240.

The difficulties this created became a problem to local government even though numerous lives were saved. Many would have overdosed fatally from drugs had not ambulance service been called. The Vancouver Police Department answered over 500 calls last year to settle complications from housing the most marginalized of DTES. Tensions were understandably high between the Presbytery of the United Church and city authorities. Finally decisions were made by the Presbytery that would limit the most troubled and marginalized as is the policy of most shelters in North America. This is understandable as shelters try to help  as many homeless as possible but are not equipped to handle the most problematic.

Consequently Ric Matthews, Sandra Severs, and Gillian Rhodes who were the previous leaders at FUC resigned. They have since begun a new society they are calling the New Way Community Society. Their goals will be complimentary to those of FUC, as they intend to create a community modeled from L'arche. They plan to initially focus on 20  of the most marginalized in DTES who are so often excluded from help and services. I met with Ric last week and we discussed ways I can be involved, as well as continuing my current involvement at FUC.

Last night I attended an open meeting which discussed the initial goals of the New Way Community Society. The room was packed with extra chairs having to be added.  The attendees were enthused about the intended focus, and encouraged the services would be complimentary to those currently in operation at FUC.

I felt very grateful as Ric was sharing how this would be staffed and financed. He shared my ministry as an example. He complimented my home church (Redeemer's Fellowship in Roseburg OR) and my friends who are supporting me. The society will be encouraging this "Missionary Model" as well as other options.

I am beginning to see my interests in training and educating local churches in addiction and mental health  come to fruition.  As the society takes form it will be my goal to encourage participants in my ministry to visit and experience DTES to consider how they can serve in their local communities.

Thank you again for supporting me with your thoughts, prayers, and financial gifts.  I have such a profound sense of the Sovereignty of God and His purpose for me in the DTES. I will certainly keep you informed. Please take a few minutes and view the included videos of L'Arche.  I would love to hear your feedback.

1 comment: